Home » About Us

About Us

Who Were the Huguenots?

History

The Huguenots were French Protestants most of whom eventually came to follow the teachings of John Calvin, and who, due to religious persecution, were forced to flee France to other countries in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. Some remained, practicing their Faith in secret.

The Protestant Reformation began by Martin Luther in Germany about 1517, and spread rapidly in France, especially among those having grievances against the established order of government. As Protestantism grew and developed in France it generally abandoned the Lutheran form, and took the shape of Calvinism. The new “Reformed Religion” practiced by many members of the French nobility and the middle-class, based on a belief in salvation through individual faith without the need for the intercession of a church hierarchy, and on the belief in an individual’s right to interpret scriptures for themselves, placed these French Protestants in direct theological conflict with both the Roman Catholic Church and the French monarchy in the theocratic system which prevailed at that time. Followers of this new Protestantism were soon accused of heresy against the Catholic government and the established religion of France, and a General Edict urging extermination of these heretics, which came to be called Huguenots, was issued in 1536. Nevertheless, Protestantism continued to spread and grow, and about 1555 the first Huguenot church was founded in a home in Paris based upon the teachings of John Calvin. The number and influence of the French Reformers (Huguenots) continued to increase after this event, leading to an escalation in hostility and conflict between the Catholic Church/State and the Huguenots. Finally, in 1562, some 1200 Huguenots were slain at Wassy (pronounced Vah-cee), in northeastern France, thus igniting the French Wars of Religion which would devastate France for the next thirty-five years.

The Edict of Nantes, signed by King Henry IV in April, 1598, ended the Wars of Religion, and allowed the Huguenots some religious freedoms, including limited free exercise of their religion in 20 specified towns of France.

The Revocation of the Edict of Nantes by King Louis XIV in October, 1685, began anew the persecution of the Huguenots, and hundreds of thousands of Huguenots fled France to other countries. The Promulgation of the Edict of Toleration in November, 1787, partially restored the civil and religious rights of Huguenots in France.

Since the Huguenots of France were in large part artisans, craftsmen, and professional people, they were usually well-received in the countries to which they fled for refuge, when religious discrimination or overt persecution caused them to leave France. Most of them went initially to Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland, and England, although some found their way eventually to places as remote as South Africa and even Australia. Considerable numbers of Huguenots migrated to British North America, especially to the Carolinas, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New York.

Their character and talents in the arts, sciences, and industry were such that they are generally felt to have been a substantial loss to the French society from which they had been forced to withdraw, and a corresponding gain to the communities and nations into which they settled. The Huguenots were especially recognized for their unswerving faith, and their love of freedom. Among colonial Americans with Huguenot blood are included such famous names as George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, Paul Revere, and John Jay.

 


The Huguenot Cross

History

The Cross shown here which has been adopted as the insignia of The National Huguenot Society is both beautiful and symbolic. It is not, however, exclusive to the Society. It is being used more and more throughout the world as a sign among the descendants of the Huguenots. Many designs of the Cross have been worn by Huguenots throughout the years. This particular design was discovered by the Reverend Andrew Mailhet in the province of Languedoc, France, and dates from at least the eighteenth century. It has, therefore, become known as the Cross of Languedoc.

It is impossible to know exactly when the Huguenots adopted the Huguenot Cross as a symbol and confirmation of their faith. However, it is believed to have been a sign of recognition among the French Protestants as early as the 17th century. It was patterned after the Order of the Holy Spirit insignia worn by Henry IV of Navarre, who issued the Edict of Nantes in 1598 to protect Protestant freedoms. The Huguenot Society of South Africa provides the following information as to its history:

“The Huguenot cross was designed and first manufactured by a certain Mystre of Nîmes in 1688. It has as its predecessor the badge of the Hospitaler Knights of St John of Jerusalem also known as the Knights of Malta, a religious and Crusader order founded in Jerusalem in the 7th century AD. In 1308 they occupied the island of Rhodes after the collapse of the Crusader states, and in 1530 formed the order of the Knights of Malta after Rhodes was surrendered to the Ottoman Turks. They lived for 4 centuries on the island of Malta, hence the name Maltese Cross for the central part. (The Maltese Cross is generally associated with fire and is the symbol of protection of fire fighters in many countries).”

“Other predecessors of the Huguenot Cross include the so-called Languedoc Cross, and the order decoration of the Order of the Holy Spirit which Henry III established on December 31st, 1578.”

Significance and Meaning

The gold Cross of Languedoc, with the official ribbon of the Society which is white, edged with stripes of French blue and gold has become the official insignia of The National Huguenot Society worn by members. The Cross of Languedoc consists of four elements:

  • The insignia consists of an open four-petal Lily of France — reminiscent of the Mother Country of France — in which each petal radiates outward in the shape of a “V” to form a Maltese Cross. The four petals signify the Four Gospels. Each petal, or arm, has at its outside periphery two rounded points at the corners. These rounded points are regarded as signifying the Eight Beatitudes.

  • The four petals are joined together by four fleur-de-lis, also reminiscent of the Mother Country of France. Each fleur-de-lis has has three petals. The twelve petals of the four fleur-de-lis signify the Twelve Apostles.

  • An open space in the shape of heart is formed between each fleur-de-lis and the arms of the two petals with which it is joined. This shape — a symbol of loyalty — suggests the seal of the great French Reformer, John Calvin.

  • A descending dove pendant representing the Saint Esprit or “Sainted Spirit” — the guide and counselor of the Church — is suspended from a ring of gold attached to the lower central petal.

Size

The size of The Cross of Languedoc insignia as used by The National Huguenot Society is normally 1-1/8 inches in height by 1 inch in width, exclusive of the pendant dove. When including the pendant dove the height of the insignia increases to 1-7/8 inches, while the overall width remains unchanged.

This size, however, may be varied based upon need provided that the proportions of 9:8 height to width, exclusive of the pendant dove are maintained. When the pendant dove is included the ratio of height to width must remain at 15:8.



 

Origin of the Word Huguenot

The exact origin of the word Huguenot is unknown, but many consider it to be a combination of Flemish and German. Protestants who met to study the Bible in secret were called Huis Genooten, meaning “house fellows.” They were also referred to as Eid Genossen, or “oath fellows”, meaning persons bound by an oath. Two possible but different derivations incorporating this concept can be found in the Encyclopedia Britannica:

1.   “Huguenot”, according to Frank Puaux, at one time President of the Société de l’Histoire du Protestantisme français and author of the article about the Huguenots in the eleventh edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica:

“is the name given from about the middle of the sixteenth century to the Protestants of France. It was formerly explained as coming from the German Eidgenosen, the designation of the people of Geneva at the time when they were admitted to the Swiss Confederation. This explanation is now abandoned. The words Huguenot, Huguenots, are old French words, common in fourteenth and fifteenth-century charters. As the Protestants called the Catholics papistes, so the Catholics called the protestants huguenots. The Protestants at Tours used to assemble by night near the gate of King Hugo, whom the people regarded as a spirit. A monk, therefore, in a sermon declared that the Lutherans ought to be called Huguenots, as kinsmen of King Hugo, inasmuch as they would only go out at night as he did. This nickname became popular from 1560 onwards, and for a long time the French Protestants were always known by it.”

2.   The current edition Encyclopedia Britannica offers a somewhat different explanation, although agreeing the word is a derivative of the German word Eidgenossen:

“The origin of the name is uncertain, but it appears to have come from the word aignos, derived from the German Eidgenossen (confederates bound together by oath), which used to describe, between 1520 and 1524, the patriots of Geneva hostile to the duke of Savoy. The spelling Huguenot may have been influenced by the personal name Hugues, “Hugh”; a leader of the Geneva movement was one Besancon Hugues (d. 1532).”

 


 

 

Chronology of Georgia Society Meetings

1971-Present

JUNE 26, 1971 – Willow Lake Country Club, Metter, GA. The Huguenot Society of Georgia was organized by Mrs. William Lawton Brannen, Organizing President. Eighteen Organizing Members were present. Speaker: Dr, Charles D. Horton, Pastor, First Baptist Church, Metter.

NOVEMBER 6, 1971 – Stone Mountain Inn, Atlanta, GA. Speaker: David V. Prugh, Goffstown, NH, President General, National Society, conducted the installation of the first officers of the fledgling Society.

MAY 20, 1972 – Baconsfield Club House, Macon, GA. Speaker: Dr. Oscar C. Page, Dean, Wesleyan College, Macon, GA.

NOVEMBER 11, 1972 – DeSoto Hilton Hotel, Savannah, GA. Speaker: Dr. Charles D. Horton, Pastor, First Baptist Church, Metter, GA.

MARCH 31, 1973 – Admiral Benbow Inn, Atlanta, GA. Speaker: Beverly M. DuBose, Jr., President, Atlanta Historical Society, “Preservation of Homes in Atlanta.”

OCTOBER 29, 1973 – Sheraton Motor Inn, Macon, GA. Speaker: David V. Prugh, President General, National Society, “French Heraldry.”

MAY 25, 1974 – Downtowner Motor Inn, Savannah, GA. Speaker: Mrs. Betty Ravers, “Preservation and Restoration of Historic Buildings in Savannah.”

NOVEMBER 2, 1974 – Stone Mountain Inn, Atlanta, GA. Speaker: Kenneth Thomas, Researcher, Historic Preservation Section, State Department of Natural Resources, “A Review of Restoration Projects of the Department.” The Zada Bird Brannen Scholarship Fund established.

MAY 31, 1975 – King and Prince Hotel, St. Simons Island, GA. Speaker: Capt. John H. Carmichael, USN (Ret.), “First Settler of St. Simons Island.”

OCTOBER 18, 1975 – Hilton Hotel, Macon, GA. Speaker: Dr. Spencer B. King, Jr., Retired History Professor, Mercer University, “Our Heritage from the Huguenots.”

APRIL 3, 1976 – Willow Lake Country Club, Metter, GA. Speaker: Mrs. James Baker, Bob Jones University, Greenville, SC, “Escape to Dawn,” (a dramatization based on a letter translated from the manuscripts of the South Carolina Historical Society, Charleston, SC.) dramatized by Mrs. James Baker, Bob Jones University, Greenville, SC.

OCTOBER 6, 1976 – Washington-Wilkes Country Club and Washington Presbyterian Church, Washington, GA. Speakers: musical program presented by Mr. & Mrs. John Singleton, “Huguenot Faith in Huguenot Psalms.”

APRIL 2, 1977 – Pine Mountain Chalets, Pine Mountain, GA. Speaker: Dr. C. Lee Harwell, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA, “A College Student’s Reaction to War: Letters of Grant Davis Heard, Confederate Army.”

SEPTEMBER 24, 1977 – Admiral Benbow Inn, Atlanta, GA. Speaker: Mrs. David L. Ramsey, “George Washington, Huguenot.”

APRIL 1, 1978 – Holiday Inn, Madison, GA. Speaker: The Rev. Thomas J. White, Pastor, First Presbyterian Church, Covington, GA, “Glory of the Dream.”

OCTOBER 7, 1978 – Baptist Village, Waycross, GA. Program: A Tour of the Okefenokee Swamp Park. Speaker: Dr. Lewis William Swinson, Hazlehurst, GA, “Huguenot Society of America vs. Our Branch.”

APRIL 15, 1979 – Northlake Hilton Inn, Atlanta, GA. Speaker: Ms. Amy Friedlander, Emory University, Decatur, GA, “A Study in Cultural Pluralism in the Colonial South.”

OCTOBER 7, 1979 – Milledgeville Country Club, Milledgeville, GA. Speaker: Dr. James C. Bonner, Professor Emeritus of History, Georgia College, Milledgeville, GA, “Social Life in Colonial America.”

MAY 5, 1980 – Holiday Inn, Statesboro, GA. Speaker: Dr. Dale W. Lick, President, Georgia Southern College, Statesboro, GA, “Education in the 80’s.”

OCTOBER 10, 1980 – Hickory Knob State Park, McCormick, SC. Speaker: Miss Anne Gilbert, “New Bordeaux, SC, and its Georgia Connection.” Mrs. Luther Swanstrom, Jr. of the Illinois Society, President General of the National Society, was in attendance.

APRIL 11, 1981 – John Wesley Hotel, Savannah, GA. Speaker: Dr. Julia Floyd Smith, Georgia Southern College, GA (present-day Georgia State University), “The Old Township of Perrysburg, St. Peters Parish, SC.” (The social life of the Huguenot Society)

OCTOBER 10, 1981 – Tower Place Hotel, Atlanta, GA. Speaker: Mr. Franklin Garrett, “The Early History of Atlanta and the Surrounding Metropolitan Area.” The Zada Bird Brannen Scholarship was awarded to four recipients.

APRIL 3, 1983 – Downtowner Hotel, Savannah, GA. Speaker: Dr. Russell J. Mercer, Honorary State President, The Huguenot Society of Georgia, and currently a candidate for Lieutenant Gevernor, “Huguenot History.”

OCTOBER 2, 1982 – Admiral Benbow Inn, Atlanta, GA. Speaker: Mrs. Frances Burns, Registrar General, National Society, presented slides of the 1981 pilgrimage to France.

APRIL 2, 1983 – Holiday Inn, Augusta, GA. Speaker: Dr. Edward J. Cashin, Chairman, Department of History, Augusta College, “History of Augusta.”

OCTOBER 8, 1983 – Holiday Inn, Marietta, GA. Speaker: Dr. Brian G. Armstong, Chairman, Department of History, Georgia State University.

APRIL 14, 1984 – Milledgeville Country Club, Milledgeville, GA. Speaker: Dr. Martin Turner of the Georgia College faculty, whose talk focused on the man believed to be the last Huguenot martyr, Jean Cales of Toulouse, France.

OCTOBER 13, 1984 – Guillebeau House, Hickory Knob State Park, SC. Speaker: Dr. Michael Foley, Chief Historian, South Carolina Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism, who was involved in the relocation and preservation of the Guillebeau House, the last surviving house of the New Bordeaux settlement in South Carolina.

APRIL 13, 1985 – Washington Presbyterian Church, Washington, GA. Speaker: The Rev. Stan Sizemore, pastor of the historic church, who traced the relationship of the Protestant Reformation to political democracy.

OCTOBER 12, 1985 – Tower Place Hotel, Atlanta, GA. Speaker: Dr. George F. Walker of the Georgia Tech faculty, who spoke on the European background of the Huguenots.

SEPTEMBER 27, 1986 – French Quarter Suites, Atlanta, GA. Speaker: Lou Singleton, who gave a slide presentation of the 1985 Huguenot Pilgrimage to England, the Netherlands, Belgium and France.

SEPTEMBER 26, 1987 – Willow Lake Country Club, Metter, GA. Program of Huguenot songs presented by Jim and Debbie Tipps of Metter.

SEPTEMBER 24, 1988 – French Quarter Suites, Atlanta, GA. Speaker: Mr. Graham Thomas Smallwood, Jr., President General, National Huguenot Society, who stressed the need for communication among the various Huguenot societies.

APRIL 1, 1989 – Holiday Inn, Statesboro, GA. Speaker: Miss Henrietta Royal, Librarian, Statesboro Regional Library, who spoke concerning the Zada Bird Brannen Genealogy Room in said library.

OCTOBER 28, 1989 – Best Western Motel, Macon, GA. Speaker: Dr. Martha Turner of the Georgia College faculty, who spoke on the life of Christopher DuBignon, once owner of Jekyll Island.

MARCH 31, 1990 – French Quarter Suites, Atlanta, GA. Speaker: Arthur F. Stocker, President General, National Huguenot Society, and history professor at the University of Virginia, who spoke on Huguenot history.

SEPTEMBER 29, 1990 – Johnny Harris Restaurant, Savannah, GA. Speaker: Dr. Janet Stone, Professor of French History, Armstrong State College, who spoke concerning the history of the Huguenots in France.

APRIL 6, 1991 – Best Western Motel, Macon, GA. President Mildred Dickey gave a detailed report concerning the problems of the National Huguenot Society, as discussed at the recent meeting she attended in Sarasota, FL.

MAY 11, 1991 – Festive day in Madison, hosted by Juanita Collins, Shirley Denhard, Mike Collins and John Rabun, which featured a service in the Church of the Advent, Episcopal, a tour of historic houses, luncheon in the Parish House and a presentation in the church of patriotic and religious hymns.

SEPTEMBER 28, 1991 – Willow Lake Country Club, Metter, GA. Speaker: Dr. Charles D. Horton, Baptist minister, spoke on Reformation history. Service marked the 20th anniversary of the founding of the Huguenot of Georgia at the same location.

MARCH 28, 1992 – Idle Hour Country Club, Macon, GA. Speaker: Miss Carroll Hart, former Director of the Georgia Department of Archives and History, who spoke on the research she had done on David Demorast, an architect of Huguenot descent, who moved from New York to Georgia in the nineteenth century, and some of whose buildings can still be seen in Georgia.

APRIL 23, 1992 – At the invitation of the Huguenot Society of South Carolina, a delegation from the Huguenot Society of Georgia attended the annual meeting of the South Carolina Society in Charleston. Highlights of the weekend included Sunday morning service at the French Protestant Church.

SEPTEMBER 26, 1992 – Sidney Lanier Cottage, Macon, GA. Speaker: Mrs. Richard Massie (née Minla Lanier) discussed the genealogy of the Lanier family. Her talk was followed by a film on the life of Sidney Lanier.

DECEMBER 12, 1992 – Reception for members and guests at the Idlehour Country Club in Macon, GA, was well attended.

MARCH 27, 1993 – Jerusalem Church, New Ebenezer, Effingham County, GA. Mr. and Mrs. Sid Waldhour of Rincon, dressed in natives costumes, gave an account of the history of the Salzburgers. Delicious luncheon, prepared by Mike Collins, was served in the church social hall.

SEPTEMBER 18, 1993 – Historic Hill-Pike House in Cobb County, GA, the home of Dr.

and Mrs. Sanders Pike, who moved the ca. 1788 house from Washington, GA, to Cobb County, a distance of 120 miles, and restored it at its new site.

APRIL 16, 1994 – Idle Hour Country Club, Macon, GA. Our Chaplain, The Rev. John C. Davis, was the principal speaker. He gave an inspirational talk, and Larry DeLapp gave a brief history of the Bennings, the Huguenot family of which he is a member.

SEPTEMBER 24, 1994 – The Rev. Travis T. DuPriest, President General, National Huguenot Society, was the guest of the Society, and was the principal speaker. The meeting was held at Hodgson Hall, the headquarters of the Georgia Historical Society in Savannah. Luncheon was at the Oglethorpe Club. The previous evening, a number of members met for an informal dinner at Snapper’s Restaurant. Following the luncheon at the Oglethorpe Club, some members proceeded to Purrysburg, SC, the site of a Huguenot settlement, and from there to Charleston, where they attended a service at the French Protestant Church the following day.

MARCH 25, 1995 – Idle Hour Country Club, Macon, GA. Dr. Thomas Scott of the Mercer University faculty gave a talk on the Huguenot colonization effort in Florida in the 16th century. John Rabun delivered a paper on the Fontaines, the Huguenot family of which he is a member.

SEPTEMBER 30, 1995 – Roswell Founders Club, Roswell, GA. Karen Farnsworth, the guest speaker, gave an interesting talk entitled “The Importance of Doing a Personal History.” The Society’s first auction was held, with Dr. sanders Pike as auctioneer. New officers were elected and were installed by Mrs. Harry L. Dickey, Honorary State President.

MARCH 30, 1996 – Milledgeville Country Club, Milledgeville, GA. Speaker: Dr. Robert W. Wilson, III, Georgia College, “The History of Milledgeville.” A tour of the Old Governor’s Mansion followed the meeting.

SEPTEMBER 28, 1996 – Midway Church, Midway, GA. Speaker: The Rev. Franklin Sasser, “Clergy During the Revolutionary Era.” Luncheon was followed by a tour of the historic cemetery at Midway.

MARCH 22, 1997 – Athens Country Club, Athens, GA. Speaker: The Hon. Robert G. Stephens, former congressman from Georgia, who gave a humorous and highly entertaining talk on his experiences as a lawyer in Athens and as a Member of the U.S. House of Representatives.

SEPTEMBER 27, 1997 – Statesboro Regional Library, Statesboro, GA. Speaker: Mr. Smith Callaway banks, Huguenot Society of Georgia Librarian, who gave an informative account of the history of the Library, with special emphasis on the Library’s impressive Huguenot collection. He reviewed the outstanding contributions to the Library by the late William Lawton Brannen, an Organizing Member of the Society, and by Hulda Kelly, a Member of the Society. Officers were elected and installed.

a APRIL 25, 1998 – Idle Hour Country Club, Macon, GA. Speaker: Mr. James E. Barfield, local historian of Macon and a Past President of the Middle Georgia Historical Society. He spoke on the early history of Macon and mentioned several early families who have Huguenot names. His emphasis was on Sidney Lanier, the Macon native of Huguenot descent, who became an outstanding poet of the nineteenth century.

OCTOBER 24, 1998 – Idle Hour Country Club, Macon, GA. Speaker: Dr. Jasper Hogan, a local historian, who presented an interesting discussion of the famous, and mysterious, Burge murder, which occurred in 1960. A Memorial Service was held for our late Member, Mrs. Juanita Everett Collins.

APRIL 24, 1999 – Milledgeville Country Club, Milledgeville, GA. No speaker was scheduled. A Memorial Service was held in remembrance of the following: Mr. Michael Everett Collins, Mrs. Oscar L. Harley, and Mrs. Emily Wood. The Business Meeting was followed by a social period, sponsored by Mrs. Mary Upshaw Pike and her husband, Dr. J. Sanders Pike. After lunch, Members and guests enjoyed a Trolley Tour of Milledgeville, viewing many of the beautiful and historic buildings in the City. The Tour Guide gave brief histories of the sites visited.

OCTOBER 30, 1999 – Milledgeville Country Club, Milledgeville, GA. Speaker: Mr. Arthur Louis Finnell, Registrar General of the National Society, who gave a slide presentation about the Headquarters of the National Society in Bloomington, MN. New officers were elected and installed. By unanimous vote, Mrs. Marion Bird Martin was named an Honorary State President.

APRIL 22, 2000 – The President’s Dining Room in the Connell Student Center on the Mercer University campus in Macon, GA. Speaker: Dr. Anna Weaver, Professor of French at Mercer University, who gave the 38 Members and guests a lesson in the French language. Dr. and Mrs. J. Sanders Pike presented the Society with a gavel carved from Georgia heart pine from their 18th century house. Librarian Smith Banks announced that in 1999 a total of $560 was donated by Members of the Society in memory of the late Michael E. Collins toward the purchase of Huguenot related books by the Statesboro Regional Library. The meeting was followed by a tour of the historic Hay House.

OCTOBER 28, 2000 – Back Burner Restaurant, Macon, GA. Speaker: Christian Losito, owner of the restaurant, who gave a lesson in French cooking. Forty-five were present. Afterwards, a number of those attending the luncheon meeting went to Marketplace 2000, sponsored by the Macon Junior League, as guests of Sarah Upshaw and Amanda Upshaw.

APRIL 14, 2001 – The home of James and Amanda Upshaw in Shirley Hills, one of Macon’s beautiful old neighborhoods. A program of French music was offered by Marie Roberts, soprano. Luncheon was followed by a tour of the Upshaw’s recently restored 1923 house. Thirty-four were present.

OCTOBER 27, 2001 – Idle Hour Country Club, Macon, GA. Speaker: Maryel Battin, a native of Scotland who now lives in Macon, whose subject was “French Furniture and Decorative Arts. The election and installation of officers was postponed, pending completion of a proposed slate.

APRIL 27, 2002 – W.H. Stanton Memorial Library, Social Circle, GA. Speaker: Dr. Robert Good of the Mercer University history department, whose topic was “What to Remember? Commemorating French Protestantism.” His talk was followed by a lively question and answer session. The current slate of officers was confirmed as serving until the 2003 annual meeting. The resignation of Lou Singleton as Registrar after many years of faithful service was accepted with regret. Michael Motes was elected to fill this position. Through the generosity of Dr. Charles B. Upshaw, Jr., the LeRoy-Upshaw Memorial Endowment Fund was established, with an initial gift of $6,000.00 Luncheon was enjoyed at the renowned Blue Willow Inn. Forty-three were present.

OCTOBER 19, 2002 – Grits Café, Forsyth, GA. Speaker: Dr. Beth Stewart of the Mercer University Art Department, who gave a lecture about the influence on art as represented by Catholicism as compared with art as represented by Protestantism. There were thirty Members and guests in attendance. Dr. Sandy Pike was made an Honorary Member, and Certificates of Appreciation were presented to Mrs. Lou Singleton and Dr. Charles Upshaw.

APRIL 26, 2003 – Charleston’s, a new restaurant in Macon, GA. Speaker: Rebecca Rochet, instructor in fashion marketing at American Intercontinental University,

gave an interesting talk on French Fashion. Mr. John Rabun was presented with a Certificate of Appreciation.

OCTOBER 25, 2003 – Hill-Pike House, Macon, GA. Mary and Sandy Pike hosted this meeting in their historic home, honoring our President, Sarah Upshaw. Those in attendance were guests of the Pike’s for an outstanding lunch. Musical entertainment was provided by harpist, Emily Wren Colton, a new member, and the Smith Family Musicians of Walton County. Certain new officers were elected and installed. Several other officers, who first took office in 1999, reluctantly agreed to remain in office until the Fall of 2005. Certificates of Appreciation were presented to Miss Sarah Upshaw and Mr. Guyton McCall. At the conclusion of the program the Hill-Pike House was opened for viewing. Fifty-four Members and guests made for a record attendance.

APRIL 25, 2004 – Truman’s Restaurant in McDonough, GA. Speaker: Mark Jones, Mercer University professor of Law. Discussion on animal trials held during the Renaissance in France. A raffle was held of a French related book and of a stained glass Huguenot Cross provided by Laura Upshaw.

OCTOBER 3, 2004 – City Club, Macon, GA. Speaker: Joe Claxton, Mercer University Law professor, “Finding Life in the Law: The Seriousness and The Fun of Legal History.” Door prizes and visual displays were on hand of various Huguenot-themed items. A number of guests made the gathering more festive.

APRIL 30, 2005 – Statesboro Regional Library, Statesboro, GA. Speaker: Dr. David Seaman, professor of French, Georgia Southern University, ”The Lettrist Movement in France.” Luncheon was held at the Beaver House.

OCTOBER 29, 2005 – The Ritz-Carlton Lodge, Reynolds Plantation at Lake Oconee, Greensboro, GA. Speaker: Antony Fernandez, Chef, discussed the art of French Pastry. New Officers were proposed and elected for the 2005-2007 term of office.

APRIL 30, 2006 – Shilling Restaurant, Historic Marietta Square. Presentation by Ms. Carolyn M. Crawford of the Georgia Room of the Cobb County Library System.

NOVEMBER 11, 2006 – Mountain Creek Inn, Callaway Gardens, Pine Mountain, GA. A tour of Callaway Gardens followed the annual meeting.

APRIL 28, 2007 – Lafayette Manor, Washington, GA – Speaker: Mr. Skeet Willingham, noted author and lecturer of Wilkes County and Washington, Georgia.

OCTOBER 27, 2007 – The Fall Meeting was held at the recently renovated Queen Anne home of Douglas and Rachael Frey in Historic Marietta. A tour of the classic home followed the meeting.

APRIL 2008 – Highland Country Club, LaGrange, GA.

OCTOBER 2008 – Home of Dr. and Mrs. James Upshaw in Macon, GA. A musical program featured the membership jointly singing “La Cevenole.” Members John Parham Rabun, Jr., Lucy Ann Phillip Singleton and Marion Bird Martin were honored as Distinguished Members of the Georgia Society 2009.

APRIL 2009 – Idle Hour Country Club, Macon, GA. Speaker: Mr. Talley spoke about Huguenot history.

OCTOBER 2009 – Ansley Golf Club, Election of Officers for 2010 and presentation of the Huguenot Flag to the Georgia Society.

APRIL 24, 2010 – Statesboro Regional Library, Statesboro, GA. Speaker: Dr. E. Joe Johnson, Assistant Professor of French, Clayton State University, “In Sickness and Health: The Depiction of Friendship in French Children’s Literature of the Revolutionary Era.” The Society presented a $200.00 check to the Statesboro Regional Library for the purchase of Huguenot-related material. Luncheon was held at the Beaver House.

OCTOBER 30, 2010 – Ansley Golf Club, Atlanta, GA. Speaker: Mr. James Blair, International Project Manager for Georgia Economic Development, “American-French Business Connections.” John Rabun announced the donation of $200.00 to the Georgia Room of the Cobb County Library in Marietta.

APRIL 30, 2011 – Downtown Grill, Macon, GA. Speaker: Mr. James Barfield, noted author and historian, gave a presentation on the Macon area covering the pre-historic period through the 21st century. The Nominating Committee for the next slate of officers was approved. Sheila Richards reported on plans for the National Board Meeting to be held in Atlanta in October, 2012. Luncheon was held at the Downtown Grill.

OCTOBER 22, 2011 – Capital City Club, Atlanta, GA. Speaker: Mr. Richard Naegel, historian, linguist and CDC medical editor, “Siege of Sancerre During the Fourth War of Religion in 16th Century France.” The Nominating Committee presented the suggested slate of officers, who were voted on and approved, and were installed by special guest Faye Charpentier-Ford, First Vice-President General of the National Huguenot Society. Mary Reed Daugette, recipient of the Zada Bird Brannen Scholarship, spoke to the membership on how important the scholarship had been in her life decisions. A donation was collected for the “Return of the Appling Sword” to Georgia.

AUGUST 24, 2013 – McKinnon’s Lousianne Restaurant, Atlanta, GA. Speaker: Dr. Jeffrey Burson, Professor of History at Georgia Southern University in Statesboro., who spoke on the St. Bartholomew’s Massacre on April 24, 1572. David Peavy, a student at Tennessee Tech and the winner of this year’s scholarship award was introduced. He is the son of Tina Peavy. It was announced by Pesident Oosterhoudt that $1000 would be donated to the Huguenot Church in Charleston, SC since they are undergoing a major renovation. Also, books were donated to selected genealogical libraries around the state.

APRIL 26, 2014 – Eagles Landing Country Club, Stockbridge, GA. Speaker: Dr. Tim Crimmins, President, Friends of Georgia Archives. He gave an update on the Archives and invited all to a “Behind the Scenes” Tour of the Archives following the luncheon. Dr. Crimmins was given a $500 check for use by the Friends for the purchase and restoration of books for the Archives. The Ways & Means Silent Auction raised a total of $360.

OCTOBER 18, 2014 – Doubletree Hotel, Augusta, GA. Speakers: Dr. Anita Spring and Dr. Fletcher Crowe, “The Search for Fort Caroline, the Oldest Fortified Settlement in North America: Multidisciplinary Research and Multi-Site Archeology.” This was well-attended and included various guests from other lineage societies. The professors had a power-point presentation which included their recent research which showed that Fort Caroline was actually in Georgia, not Florida as has been accepted as the location up until now. Sheila Richards was appointed Nominating Chairman to form her committee and recruit the next set of officers.

MARCH 28, 2015 – Barnstormer’s Grill, Williamson, GA. First Vice President Janet Walker presided in the absence of President Oosterhoudt who was out because of illness. New officers were elected and then installed by Sheila Richards, 2nd Vice President General. Sheila Richards was presented the Mereau Award for Outstanding Service to the Georgia Society. Becky West held a Ways & Means Silent Auction.

AUGUST 22, 2015 – Indian Hills Country Club, Marietta, GA. Speaker: John Colletta, a professor, author and national speaker held two sessions entitled, “Keepers of the Records” and “Is Anybody There?” with a luncheon in between. We had many guests from other lineage societies and organizations. We welcomed three new members with New Member Packets. Dr. Charles Upshaw was presented a certificate of appreciation for his past and continual support of our Society. He was given a Huguenot tie as a thank you gift for all he has done. Door prizes were awarded at five different intervals. The Society voted to donate Huguenot books to several libraries and to fund an era-appropriate Cross for the Elk Run Anglican Church in Virginia.